Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pre/Post PF Chang's 1/2 marathon AND a run test!

I apparently need to get better at posting if I'm going to document this process......

The week leading up the the half, I ran and biked my workouts as scheduled. I was feeling OK about my running. I've been working hard on my cadence and technique because I'm a PRANCER!!!!!! (Meaning I throw my foot out in front of me and land on my heel.....VERY INEFFICIENT).

Therefore, I have been attempting to completely change my run form for 6 months, it's been pretty tough.

Anyway, Simon's dad has come to run since 2005 which makes the race even more fun. (He beats us every year). He arrived Friday night and of course we had In 'N Out 😁

Saturday we did packet pick up at the convention center downtown but then headed to Tempe to meet my mom and stepdad for the ASU-U of A basketball game, instead of our usual lunch at Majerle's.

Following the disappointing ASU loss, we rested a bit then met at Oregano's for our traditional pre-race meal.

Bed EARLY (7:45!!)

Out of bed bright and early Sunday morning!

I forgot my watch AND my iPod shuffle.........

To say the least, I performed the EXACT OPPOSITE of my race plan. (Start slow and finish at 5k race pace....... i started out 9:15/mile and ended 12:42/mile avg uhhhhhhhh). I finished better than last year by only a few minutes, pretty disappointing since last year I had only run about 5 miles at the longest and 10miles total leading up to the race...).

The Willman Champion: Simon!!!! Simon beat Dave!!! And I had some good mental victories. (STAYING POSITIVE!!) my journey this year is all about "process" and developing MENTAL TOUGHNESS!

This past week following the race has been a rest week. 1000m swim straight (Mon/Thurs) easy; 1hr level 1 aerobic bike (Tues); 30 min level 1 aerobic run (Wed/Friday). However, I was supposed to do a "run test" over the rest week at Christmas and I did not. So, Friday, following the protocol (15m warm up then run 20 min ramping up to as hard as you can; record avg HR and total distance travelled).

I did pretty well!!

My pace/mile in the same HR zones is now 29sec better. Another win!

Today we have an hour and a half bike ride. It's POURING rain so thank goodness we have two bike trainers to use inside (Thanks Mom and Momma Jill)!!


1 comment: